Tips For A Fashionista Finish!
Musq’s palette of fashion shades and timeless classic colours let you create an elegant or edgey look. With strong ties to the fashion industry and beauty experts on staff, Musq is a step ahead with techniques, trends and skincare. Applying makeup has never been faster or easier!
As Musq makeup is so concentrated, build up the colour lightly in 'layers' for the effect you want - subtle or dramatic. Musq mineral makeup products are multi-tasking. No primers, separate concealers or setting powders are needed to give foundation a flawless finish, so why buy inferior products needing additional 'back-up' products like these?
A Word about Buffing... when brands suggest you polish or buff the product over and into the skin, it's either inferior quality or it contains Bismuth Oxychloride! This by-product of lead is heavy on skin and has to be rubbed (or pushed) into pores to stay put. It will still need touching up later. A known irritant, it counteracts the soothing properties of zinc while blocking the skin. Even without bismuth, a quality mineral makeup should apply quickly without rubbing which aggrevates the inflammation of acne and rosacea, and irritates vulnerable skin following treatments such as peels. Don't put up with skin tingling and itching!
No matter what your colouring, Musq’s multi-tonal pigments create a ‘self-adjusting’ flawless foundation!
Creating a makeup Masterpiece...
Musq's mineral foundations are very forgiving with skin tone; each shade is suitable for a range of skintones so a precise match isn't required! Musq's foundations can cater for cool Nordic fair skins through to the deepest Sri Lankan. You can easily mix shades too if desired. Unsure of your shade? You can buy a sample pack via our online store.
Corrector is available in either a liquid in a tube or a thicker creme in a baby compact. The liquid should be shaken before each use. It is best for using over a broad area quickly and when there is less intensity of redness to cover. The creme being thicker gives more control and density in coverage. Either apply with fingers or a brush. Both are safe to use around the eye area and on the eyelid, taking care not to get it into the eye.
Musqskin Mineral Powder Foundation
It's essential that moisturiser has completely absorbed before applying makeup to avoid it 'sticking' or looking blotchy. Tap a little mineral foundation from the jar into the lid. Apply with a kabuki brush; swirling it quickly into the powder to pick up small amount and then tap the brush back down over lid. This removes the excess while pushing powder into the bristles for an even distribution. Apply lightly all over face, smoothing out along hair and jaw line. Unlike regular makeup, there will be no line where your makeup stops!
- Prefer a custom Liquid Foundation? Mix the concentrated powder gradually with some moisturiser to desired colour depth and a more opaque coverage. (mix & store in a small lidded jar.) We love the way Stem Organic and Musq moisturisers blend with our powders for the best results!
- To create a liquid foundation finish spritz your face with a water spray (or for a real treat with Musq's new Antioxidant Spritz bursting with organic ingredients!)
- No kabuki yet? A latex sponge will apply the foundation with more a 'spread and press' action, but tends to trap product rather than releasing it as a kabuki brush will. You may need to fold the sponge to get it in the lid or tip the powder into a broader surfaced container like a saucer, in which case be careful getting excess back into your jar.
- Light or full coverage? Just one 'layer' of powder creates a perfect finish for some of us! Or keep adding layers for total coverage. Apply densely with a fine brush where you would otherwise use a concealer.
- Mix a tiny bit of foundation powder with a drop of jojoba or rosehip oil using a fine brush to make a high-coverage concealer over dry or flakey areas. Feather it at the edges to blend it in.
Still blotchy? Your moisturiser may be too heavy, and absorbing unevenly. Consider swapping to a lighter textured but more nutrient rich all natural one. Your brush may not be dense enough or need washing.
- Look a little powdery? Musq has no synthetic oils added, but after a few minutes the minerals merge with your own skin oils to give the foundation a more natural finish.
- Although some brands suggest tapping off excess powder from the brush into the bathroom basin, we recommend tapping it back into your lid where it will saved for using in the next application.
Creme Comapct Foundation
While the powder provides a matte result, the creme offers a dewy youthful finish.
It can be applied in alternate layers under and then over the powder foundation where coverage over strong pimentation is required. Should you feel the occasional tiny mineral grains (proof we're not nano sized) this in no way impairs the look or feel of the product. As with the other foundations it can be applied right up to the lash line and over eyelids.
- Apply with sponge provided. The colour appears darker in the compact, and while the coverage is denser it still feels weightless on your skin. A press and roll application helps minimise pores. Ensure you feather and blend it at hairline and along jawline. An ideal concealer when applied with a lipbrush!
- Use the sponge damp if you want a very sheer application like a 'tinted moisturiser' effect.
- If skin is extremely oily or if humidity is very high, you can lightly dust some powder foundation in the same shade over the top of the creme.
Choosing Your Foundation Shade Use the guidelines here to avoid mistakes or relying on the subjective opinions of others.
Contouring A fuller face can be visually slimmed by contouring with a slighly darker shade of foundation or using a hint of bronzer. The same trick can be used down the sides of the nose to make it appear longer or thinner.
Gilding Bronzer and Blusher
These products can be interchanged or used together to contour. Apply after foundation is set starting under the outer corner of the eye, sweep along cheekbone and slightly upward toward the temples. Can be dusted over your face lightly without any foundation. Apply a little extra or a deeper shade for night! Can be used safely on eyes as eyeshadow. You can apply a little bronzer to neck, shoulders and decolletage too!
- You can use Musq's bronzers (& the eye colours except the blues) on your lips for incredibily long lasting colour. Just apply using a lipbrush, alone or over a lip balm.
- Adding a dot of moisturiser to bronzer or eyeshadows makes them a 'creme'- ideal for very dry skin. Mix and store in a small lidded jar.
2 in 1 Eyeshadows
Using a foam tipped shadow or angle brush, apply eyeshadow by pressing onto skin. Your lip colours can also be safely used on the eye area. Eyeshadows can be used dry or wet as shown in photo below. You control the intensity and depth with long lasting colour! Play around.... a little for a watercolour effect and more for increased depth and lustre. Mix a drop of Amplifies or water to eyeshadow to intensify the colour or Catalyst to dramatically also create a 'foiled' effect! You can add some white or charcoal to lighten or darken them, or just blend colours together easily for a custom colour.
- With more mature faces where the upper eyelid may be heavy, use subtle toned down shades of eyeshadow to visually reshape the area. Apply eyeshadow so it slightly angles up toward the outer eye, pressing gently onto skin.
- Love bright colour but feel self-conscious? Just apply a tiny amount of the brighter shade at the outer eye or along the lash line to introduce the colour without it overwhelming the eye area.
Amplifies The name says it all! Amplify the colour intensity of your eyeshadow or pigment powder used on lips with just one drop spread quickly over skin before applying product. Its organic ingredients give skin a boost too!
Want even more dramatic eyes and smouldering colour? Apply Musq Catalyst as an eyeliner or all over the lid. Apply your eyeshadow over it and watch the colour radiate with more luminosity still! Unbelievable and iridescent colour and only Musq can offer it! Or use as an alternative to strong black creme eyeshadow.
Eyeliner Kohl Pencil
These are safe to use on the inner rim of the eye for smokey exotic eyes. Briefly warm tip between your fingertips so colour applies more quickly. A white liner around the inner half of the eye will help close set eyes look further apart.
- Dry Eyeliner. Pick your desired colour from any of the eyeshadows and apply under your eye close to your lashes with an angle brush. Yes, the powder WILL stay put!
- Liquid Eyeliner. Pick your desired colour from the eyeshadows. Lightly wet your angled brush with water and dip its tips into the powder. Mix it so it's creamy on your thumbnail (it won't stain) so it will wash off easily later or in a mini mixing jar. Apply like a regular eyeliner closely around the top or lower lash lines.
- Sharpen the tip after chilling in the fridge to firm up tip and minimise breakage. Keep sharpener blades very clean. Remember that as with scissors and knives, sharpener blades become blunt and less effective; replace as required.
Precious Metals Pencils
Pencils have amazing shimmer in silver or gold, are great for all over the eyelid, as a highlighting eyeliner or on the browbone. They look amazing with an eyeshadow mixed directly over the top to create a more shimmery and opalescent version of the shade!
Musqhave Mascara has no propylene glycol, nylon or tar to cause your eyes to weep, or your lashes to snap! Just non toxic mineral and organic ingredients. To lengthen lashes apply Mascara to the just the tips and let dry. Then apply to the entire length. Keep most of the mascara near the roots to prevent them sticking together and give more definition along the lashline, 'thickening' your lashes. (Especially good if your lashes are sparse!) Curl if desired with eyelash curlers. For close set eyes, apply more mascara to your outer lashes, and keep eyeshadow emphasis to the outer eye.
- For small eyes, go easy on mascara and avoid dark eyeshadows. Curling eyelshes will 'open' and 'enlarge' your eyes.
- You can dip a fine angle brush onto mascara wand to use an alternative to eyeliner!
- Our mascaras are NOT waterproof as they have no plastics in them. If you are prone to smudging mascara, absorb moisturiser or skin oils on lashes with a light dust of foudation powder before applying mascara.
Lipliner These can be used both to line the lips, or used at an angle to colour the entire lip area. Ideal if you have an irregular lip line or wish to create an 'edge' just outside your natural lip line if lips are very thin. Sharpen carefully as per Eyeliners above.
Lipstick and High Beam Lipgloss
These are applied in the same way as a regular products. Many people find that while a particular colour in a thin application works well for them, it may be too much with a heaver full application. Experimenting is the key! Glosses provide sheer glossy colour, and work well alone, over lipstick or pure pigment powder in a corresponding shade.
- The darker or brighter your lip colour the more precise you need to be keeping an even lipline. If desired, line lips with lipstick colour using the tapered end of the dual lip brush.
- Gloss tends to enlarge the look of lips, without the expense of injecting fillers!
- Kabuki & Dual Ended Brushes are the ideal tools to start with, and may be all you'll ever need! A gentle wash with warml soapy water removes build up and colour mixing. Rinse and flick out excess water, then let dry out.
- The sponge that comes with the creme foundation should only be washed with warm water and a very mild soap. Rinse and dry out of the compact.
- We suggest you keep your Lipsticks, Lipgloss and Lip / Eyeliners out of direct sunlight and store in a cool place. Regardless of the brand or their ingredients, heat will have an adverse effect on them! In extreme heat, keep them in the fridge to prevent breakage, melting, separation or oozing! If separation does occur with glosses shake well.
Cleanser Concentrates and Antioxidant Spritz Being a concentrate, only a tiny amount of cleanser is needed on a damp face to thoroughly but gently clean your skin. A double cleanse is always advised when removing makeup, but you may find that in removing our mineral makeup only a single cleanse is needed, so don't waste it! The Antioxidant Spritz can be used as a toner and as hydrating spritz anytime during the day. It's great over powder foundation to convert the finish to that of a liquid foundation.
Copyright 2005 Musq Pty Ltd